A vintagey trip..

to my late grandparents home, made me feel sad.. It reminded me all the good & fun time I had during my childhood time with them. Since I am the eldest grand daughter, my grandparents seems to be dotting on me a lot.. hehehehe.. and I tend to spent most of my school holidays with them.. and I also spent my time with my late great grandmother.. but now, those are just memories..

anyway, last 2 weeks, when I went for a short trip to downsouth with my parents, I managed to visit my late grandparents home.



this is the house.. a big house, more like a mansion with so many living rooms, family areas, kitchen, dining area and a medium size fruit orchard next to the house to accommodate 15 kids plus maid & gardener and my grandparents, then later grandkids.. hehehehe this house was built in the early 1900s.. and now my uncle is slowly refurbishing the house back to its old glory days..

when I was there, I dragged my uncle all over the house hehehehe.


just to remind back all the good times I had here at this house.. my childhood time.. running around the house, playing, shouting and tagging my late grandparents here in the garden..

and the very best part of the trip is to haul some treasures home.. and look what I found.. my old baby piano.. hehehehe.. can you imagine that piano is already 34 years old.. hehehehe.. my late grandparents bought for me.. it came with 3 stands, but now I don't know where the stands are.. but who cares when the piano is still in great shape and can make sounds.. hehehehe I am so happy..

next is the old school bag belongs to one of my uncles or aunts.. and with 15 children, there were tonnes of school bags up at the attic.. hehehehe..

but somehow this bag melts my heart and it came home with me.. with some old books I took from grand dad's library.. the book on the right hand side with blue cover belongs to my late grand dad. How do I know it was his? welp, there was his signature on the front page of this Sir Walter Scott book, published in 1954..

and last but not least treasure is this teak wooden box.. I've seen this box before in some of your blogs.. and wishing I could get hold of one.. and luck was with me, when my uncle showed me this box and no further questions, it came home too! hehehehe. I don't know what to do with the box.. it is quite a size.. I wonder what is the story behind this box.. must be interesting, I guess.. hehehee maybe my grandparents keep their bills, important letters.. who knows.. hehehehe

anyway girls, should I get it painted? or leave as is? any suggestions? hehehehe

but I do know, I can put some vintage wallpapers to some good use here! hehehehehe

so girls, dont forget to visit Suzanne for more vintagey thingies.. Happy Thursday! Adieu!

32 comments:

Shirl said...

Hello Fitty, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. I've been having computer problems and have not been able to visit many blogs. I'm so happy I came by to see you. What lovely memories of your Grandparents and their home was just beautiful! I love all your little treasures that you brought home from there. Your past post have been so pretty, you have the most beautiful collection of charming things! I especially love your vintage wallpaper collection and how you store it is awesome!
Bless you, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Sue said...

How nice that your uncle is fixing up the family homestead! Memories are so important to us and I'm glad that you were able to take home some things that are important to you. My favorite is the suitcase filled w/little books. I would consider decoupaging the little box, either with wallpaper or maybe some sheets of music? take care, Sue

Coloradolady said...

Fitty, What a lovely post. And what a beautiful home. I can just imagine the wonderful memories you have there with your grandparents.

I was the oldest grandchild too, and I loved my grandparents with all of my being.

When I go south to visit one remaining relative, I always drive by their house. Thank goodness the people who live there now take very good care of the house. It almost looks like they should walk out the door to greet me, I so get so sad when I drive by...I want to go back inside just one more time and have a drink of water from the kitchen faucet using a ball jar. My husband forbids me to walk up to the door, for fear they would call the police!! HaHa.

I remember one time during the Christmas season, we drove by and I just had a fit, they had the Christmas tree in the wrong spot...I was so mad!!!! I said before I could think, that for crying out loud, they have the tree in the wrong window......

Well, this turned out to be more than I meant to say....Have a great week my friend....

My favorite was the cute little piano...it fits so well in your home, the colors are perfect!

Happy VTT!

★Carol★ said...

So many wonderful treasures you came home with! I am very sentimental about my grandparents' house too. Luckily my aunt lives there, so I can visit it any time. Love your little piano!

Keetha Broyles said...

First of all, that house is amazing!!!

Secondly, I love the little piano. Though I never had one like that, I do remember playing with them.

Also - - - the box is a real treasure.

Salmi said...

Salam Fitty, OMG..dat baby piano reminds me about mine too..it's red color which my late father bought for me during my stay with my grandma..35 years ago...I almost forgot about it until I read about your post..I wonder where it is right now..neway nice post.

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeous house filled with wonderful childhood memories!!..and the treasures you bought back home with you, Fitty are absolutely delightful especially that sweet little piano!!..i think that old box would look fab covered & lined with vintage wallpaper :)

Dawn Castor said...

I always wanted an 'family heirloom attic' to sift through--lucky you!

ItaJeff said...

Salam..
what a great post. Your late grandparent's house is awesome and one of a kind. Its good for your uncle to keep the original style so tht yr next generation will still be able to feel and see the beauty of their family heirloom.

You're lucky to bring home those treasures...esp the box..my ma got one at home, we called it 'kaban', I've persuaded her 100 of times to give it to me...but she refused for some good reason hehehe

have a nice day

Lots of luv,
Ita

Vicky said...

hello Fitty, what a wonderful thing to do- visit your late grandparents house.
judging from the design and pattern of the house, am I correct to say , they are baba nyonya?
I remember that baby piano, I had one too.

Mozi Esme said...

Those look like some sweet and beautiful memories...

mub said...

I think it's so neat that your uncle is restoring your grandparents home. I spent much of my childhood with my grandparents too and know how special those memories are!

I think before I decided if I would paint the box, I'd see if the damaged bits will sand out. If so, then I'd just restain it. If not, paint away!!

xinex said...

Oh Fitty, what a very pretty house,so huge! And best of all, all those goodies that you took home are precious and full of memories.....Christine

Postcardy said...

I never saw painted decorations on a house like that.

Don't paint or decoupage the box. Refinish the wood with a light warm stain.

SueLovesCherries said...

What a wonderful house - it's beautiful! I'm glad your uncle is restoring it. I wish we could see the inside, too! (Next trip?)

I'm so happy for you that you now have your childhood piano. Move over, Mozart!

Yes - wallpaper on the box would look awesome! Go to it, girl!

viridian said...

Wonderful post. thank you for sharing your memories.

Kellie said...

That's such a lovely old home, how wonderful that it's being restored. And that piano...CUTE!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

How wonderful that your family has preserved this treasure. It must be bitter sweet for you to visit there. Thanks so much for sharing.

Theresa said...

That is so cool that the house is being refurbished by your uncle! What a treasure of memories and goodies! ~theresa

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post....thank you for opening our eyes to some of the beautiful things in your country. The house is great and I love the flower/vine decorative entrance.

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your nice comments. What a great house and how fun that you can go back to visit, and bring things home. How cool.

Becky said...

Fitty-how wonderful that your family still owns and is caring for the homeplace! I'm going to visit my great grandparents home in a couple of weeks!

Could your beautiful box be an old cigar box?

Carrie said...

What a delightful post...I enjoyed reading about your family homestead and seeing the treasures you brought home.
As to your grandparents' box, try to keep the original finish. Using vintage wallpaper to line the inside would be very nice. You might also center a piece of wallpaper to the outside and just put glue to tack it down.

debi said...

Oh, Fitty, your grandparents home is so lovely. I love the pink, blue and green painting. Beautiful!
It looks like you found some wonderful old treasures there too. I LOVE your little piano....how special that it was still there for you. It sounds like you have so many sweet, fond memories of your grandparents.
I know you'll have lots of fun with that old wooden box! It would be very pretty painted and wallpapered.
Debi

Bea said...

What a fabulous house filled with wonderful memories and treasures. I'm so glad your uncle is restoring the place.

Jan Ely said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...I love that little piano! Don't you ever let it out of your sight again!

the wild raspberry said...

love that little piano and those old books!!!
have a wonderful weekend
chasity

LV said...

I can certainly relate to your post. I have memories of my grandparents little house so vivid even now. We always looked forward to going to see them and drinking her ice tea. She made the best. In fact, I have an oil painting of their old home place, which I treasure, as there is nothing left now. Thanks for visiting my post.

Neabear said...

Wow! How nice that you could get some things from your childhood and from your grandparents. That is so special!

Bunny said...

Oh my you are so fortunate to find those childhood treasures. Lucky you. I spent a lot of time at my Grandparents home actually all summers but they have been gone so many years now not sure what happened to their home. Have fun with that little box.

Anonymous said...

wow,ada hidden museum :p

Nancy said...

That is such a wonderful post! Thank you so much for sharing. I absolutely love homes so it was a pleasure.

Copyright

I would appreciate if you do not use any of my images or text without my permission.
Thank you ~ Fitty

You Are a Life Blogger!
Your blog is the story of your life - a living diary. If it happens, you blog it. And make it as entertaining as possible.